Author Topic: What is the synth you started out with? Why?  (Read 3889 times)

Arktopolis

• Low Mid
  • Honor: 54
    • arktopolis
    • View Profile
Re: What is the synth you started out with? Why?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2016, 03:40:18 pm »
DuneCM was the first one I actually learned to use instead of just playing around with presets. It was more powerful in terms of modulation than other freebie stuff I had used (like TAL-noisemaker), the user interface is pretty convenient, and it has some basic FM capabilities. One particular thing I grew to like about it is that, instead of individual volumes for the two oscillators, it has an OSC mix knob. It became a habit for me to modulate this knob when experimenting with a sound, and now I miss it when I use other synths.

The first one I bought (I don't count buying the CM magazine here) was Serum, much because of all the praise on this forum :) I was demoing that and Massive, and chose Serum mainly because of the more intuitive user interface and the visualizations. Both seemed to be able to do pretty much anything I can think of wanting to do with a synth, save for full-blown FM stuff (learning which is definitely on my bucket list!).

Ferio

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2016, 07:46:40 pm »
Started out with a Virus B, because I liked to turn all the knobs to create sounds. :-)

birdwork

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 1
    • birdwork
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2016, 08:53:25 pm »
Rob Papen's Albino, and Reason synths. Then Absynth, and eventually a Virus TI cause I was bankin' at the time. Sold the virus after several years when I realized I no longer liked most of the sounds. Now I'm stuck buying & selling various synths until I find something I like. So far only uHe Diva and my Moog are 100% for me.

User

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
  • Just trying to make my mark without leaving scars
    • User (Official)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2016, 03:50:22 am »
I started out with Sytrus because A. It came with FL and was free and B. I didn't know any better. It was certainly a very high learning curve, but I got the hang of it after awhile. It was really weird getting Sylenth1 after that, it seeemed a little too easy :)
"Everyone beith a critic" - Squidward

"You can't be in the NBA if you can't play basketball" - DVBBS 2K15

"We're All We Need" - Above & Beyond

Bizo

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 5
  • Omelette du fromage
    • bizo_fr
    • bizo_fr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2016, 07:32:44 am »
I started with the Sytrus, it's the first VST i opened when I used FL for the first time in 2008, and now i'm still using it

Also my 1st hardware synth is a Korg MicroKORG, very useful for a beginner, and i'm still using it too!

elixir

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 7
    • ndetro
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 08:22:59 pm »
Nexus and Zeta+ is where I started.

GuttyDozen

• Subsonic
    • guttydozen
    • guttydozen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 09:15:07 pm »
I started on Nexus making like Happy Hardcore. The moved to electro and dubstep on Massive. I was terrible with it and didn't really understand how to use it. Luckily Serum came out and taught me a lot about wavetable synthesis. I understand more in Massive now because of learning on Serum! Props to Duda

bryan

• Low Mid
  • Honor: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2016, 03:36:44 am »
First off, there are some YOUNG BUCKS in this forum, eh?  If you started with Serum or Hive, then dang...you just started!  Of course, some of the posts have put me in my place as well - I haven't a clue what "old" synths they're referring to!'

For me, Massive and Sylenth were what I started with because there were a lot of tutorials.  Nowadays, I try to limit myself because it's difficult for me to learn (in-depth) synths if I have too many.  I own Hive, Sylenth, and Zebra2.

neotron

• Subsonic
    • synthmorph
    • View Profile
    • Synthmorph
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »
I started with the stock synths that came with Cubase. I hadn't gotten any other synths at the time so I had to learn to use what I had. Retrologue sounds pretty decent but felt a bit restrictive for more interesting sound design.
Steinberg Retrologue is a hidden gem, read more why.

allenschroeder

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 2
    • View Profile
    • allen schroeder music
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2017, 11:02:12 pm »
Massive.  At the time, it seemed that it had the most third-party preset libraries available
Allen Schroeder is a deep house producer living in Dallas, Texas USA.

imdubear

• Subsonic
    • dub-modell
    • polardubbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2017, 05:52:08 pm »
V-Station. Still rocking with it :)

Rixir

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 3
    • rixirmusic
    • rixirmusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 02:56:37 pm »
Started off using Sylenth because that was what the tutorials I was learning from used the most. Really wish I had read the manual earlier because I spent the first year of using it having a general idea of what I was doing but not actually knowing what all the knobs and faders did! It's definitely the synth I'm most familiar with and the one I go to the most.
I think if I were to start out again, I would want to learn from Serum first. Even though wavetable synths aren't really my thing, the visual feedback in regard to what the knobs/modulated parameters are doing is so fantastic and would've helped me understand synthesis a lot more in the beginning.

toughenough6

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2017, 12:26:38 pm »
I started out messing with a ton of stuff but the first one I actually started really learning was Massive because dubstep. Once Serum came out I moved on (from both Massive and dubstep haha).

Etiks

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 2
    • etiks/tracks
    • Etiksmusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2017, 10:19:11 pm »
its actually insane how many producers actually produce on FL, i always got lost in my own project file back when i was learning on it lol

my first one was massive, but at the time i was 14 and had no idea how to learn anything. so i would say serum was my very first one that i've actually learned to use and understand. :)

eidolon

• Global Moderator
  • Sub Bass
  • Honor: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2017, 10:10:56 pm »
i started with Sytrus, then got Massive, then FM8, then that was too much stuff so I got Sylenth, then THAT was too much so I've 'regressed' to 3xosc. i'm really into getting weird with processing, idk i like having discrete plugins for different things.
check out the chat!! you can join here.