Author Topic: How do I make this sound  (Read 1122 times)

Helius

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 1
  • Amateur Producer (House + DnB)
    • user-202577303
    • heliusmusic
    • View Profile
How do I make this sound
« on: February 27, 2018, 10:51:43 pm »
So I don't know how to describe the sound I want to make but i know it's used fairly commonly in dance music. David Guetta, Martin Garrix and Brooks' recent single "Like I Do" has it and it comes in at approx 2:02 in the song and you can probably hear it best at about 2:12ish. It sounds to me like a robotic voice sorta thing.

I've attached a youtube link for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPu9Jrcpuk

Any comments would be appreciated

Mussar

• Administrator
  • Mid
  • Honor: 251
    • mussarmusic
    • mussarmusic
    • View Profile
    • My Site
Re: How do I make this sound
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 02:06:05 am »
There are two possibilities, just from a quick listen through:

1. Synth lead (probably a monophonic saw wave with some portamento) + Vocoder and Human Voice

2. Synth Lead (as above) + Formant Filters.

In either case, you want to impart the spectral quality of the human voice by using some filtering that imparts the shape of human vowel sounds onto a source sound - in this case, a synthesizer lead. Most DAWs have a built in vocoder, so you could experiment by recording yourself going "Oooh" and "yeah" and "Woah" and whatnot to get the formants you want, or you could use a third party formant filter like sugarbytes Wow, or the KiloHearts formant filter (or just draw your own - look up formant EQ curves and experiment!) and achieve a result that I believe is what was actually used. But vocoding might still be fun.

Helius

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 1
  • Amateur Producer (House + DnB)
    • user-202577303
    • heliusmusic
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make this sound
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 07:28:45 am »
There are two possibilities, just from a quick listen through:

1. Synth lead (probably a monophonic saw wave with some portamento) + Vocoder and Human Voice

2. Synth Lead (as above) + Formant Filters.

In either case, you want to impart the spectral quality of the human voice by using some filtering that imparts the shape of human vowel sounds onto a source sound - in this case, a synthesizer lead. Most DAWs have a built in vocoder, so you could experiment by recording yourself going "Oooh" and "yeah" and "Woah" and whatnot to get the formants you want, or you could use a third party formant filter like sugarbytes Wow, or the KiloHearts formant filter (or just draw your own - look up formant EQ curves and experiment!) and achieve a result that I believe is what was actually used. But vocoding might still be fun.

Thanks Mussar this is a great help

www.prom-electric.ru

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
    • help
    • View Profile
    • Обслуживание промышленной электроники
How do I make this sound
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 07:41:38 am »
So.....zip slugga is not worth its LP cost. But, what would be an interesting way to make it worth that LP?

How about giving it the suppression "ailment"

Anyway, please vote or comment. Allowed to choose 2 items.

Cheers