Author Topic: Loops lost in song  (Read 1773 times)

djdillyc

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 1
    • https://soundcloud.com/diglet95
    • diglet95
    • View Profile
Loops lost in song
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:48:34 pm »
Hello,

I am working on a song. I feel like the loops I have added are somehow lost in the track. They sound too soft and not present enough. I have gone through the loops and taken out some low end and even turned up the volume of them. Should I add a compressor or a limiter to the loops to make them louder?

Thanks
Dylan
I love the way music can have such a profound effect on the human race!

Marrow Machines

• Mid
  • Honor: 101
  • Electronic Music
    • marrow-machines
    • MarrowMachines
    • View Profile
Re: Loops lost in song
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:45:42 pm »
your suggestions don't address the issue.

in order to get your desired results, present and loud (opposite of the problems you have with them), you need to consider what it is you actually want out of the loops.

do you want to use them as an accent piece, do you want to use them as the basis of your track, do you want them to be the focus of your track?

Those three considerations all have different underlining context and processes.

That being said, if you want to create an accent piece or a layer, then you're on your way (with out compressing or limiting) to utilize the loop as a support mechanism in your song.

using the loop as the basis of the track means that you typically have to treat it as a hybrid of a support and as the focus. Meaning, you use it as a building block for your track but utilizing it as the foundation for which you build other sounds around it (such as a kick layer or snare layer) that augment the existing loop and allows for easier process considerations such as side chaining (other ways to work around that, but that's an easier route and optimized for creating rather than pure technical sound design).

The focus of the track requires a little more technical understanding because you're choosing to focus on the loop and base your mix decisions solely on that track. Which comes with it's own set of challenges, and often leads to complicated processing and signal flow considerations;hence the technical understanding.

it seems you're desire is either a foundation or a focus.
Josh Huval: Honestly, the guys who are making good art are spending their time making it.

systematicmelody

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
    • systematicmelody
    • View Profile
Re: Loops lost in song
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 07:29:51 pm »
Hey Dylan,

It's a little hard for us to know what you're talking about specifically with the information you've given.

Marrow Machines' advice is excellent but here's another if you're approaching it from a very abstract point of view:

Bounce out two versions - one without the loop and one with the loop. Give it a day or so, so that you can approach it from a new perspective. Listen without, then with. Then from another fresh perspective Listen with, and then without and pick the one you like.