Author Topic: Applying Groove  (Read 2199 times)

Suddy34

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
    • Sevlo
    • View Profile
Applying Groove
« on: December 02, 2016, 09:11:04 am »
Wanted to start a topic on "Applying Groove" to discuss different techniques for adding groove to drums, synths, tracks etc. What are people's different techniques/go to swings (as I am an ableton user)?

Marrow Machines

• Mid
  • Honor: 101
  • Electronic Music
    • marrow-machines
    • MarrowMachines
    • View Profile
Re: Applying Groove
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 12:55:02 pm »
I tend to write out all my parts on the piano and record them.

I capture the velocity changes and nuances from velocity changes through synth programming.

But my grooves are purely a bass line and drum writing exercise. Every thing supports those components.

EDIT: i don't start off with a piano sound, but i write things out on a midi keyboard.

I typically find sounds that i like first, and then try to alter the sound to how i play/what is recorded.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:12:47 pm by Marrow Machines »
Josh Huval: Honestly, the guys who are making good art are spending their time making it.

vinceasot

• Low Mid
  • Honor: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:08:47 pm »
groove for drums is to stack some loops if you want, and then the percussion like rides, toms, hats, etc
need a good bassline
for melody its about the harmony with the notes i believe

you gotta have that 8 bar loop that makes you go, yeah lets continue this track
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:15:47 pm by vinceasot »

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 3
    • 270official
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 07:10:11 pm »
I like having a couple reversed samples in my drum loops, when placed right they can really make things bounce and gel together.

Tieme Typhonic

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 1
    • Typhonic-Samples
    • TyphonicSamples
    • View Profile
    • Typhonic Samples
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 04:04:00 pm »
Try to randomize the timing(swing) and velocity of your drums. Even some slight random panning can help. But don't overdo it, it will make your beat sound sloppy..

eidolon

• Administrator
  • Sub Bass
  • Honor: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 11:51:31 pm »
does anyone record their drum MIDI with a drumpad (or just plinking out on a typing keyboard)? i'm trying to find more uses for my MIDI's pads & knobs writing, and the thought just kinda crossed my mind as a good way to humanize drums.
check out the chat!! you can join here.

Mussar

• Administrator
  • Mid
  • Honor: 251
    • mussarmusic
    • mussarmusic
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:35:21 am »
I do! I have an AKAI MPK mini and a Midi Fighter 3D that I use when I want to physically play in notes or drum sequences.

Regarding the topic of the thread, I most often find myself singing, beatboxing, or scatting out the rhythm first when I'm programming my drum sounds, or trying to find a nice groove for a melody. If I'm just drawing in midi notes, i'm locked into a grid and my groove will feel much more tied to the metronome.

If you're using ableton, you can sort of cheat the quantization by applying a groove from the groove pool in your core library.

Though if I'm being totally honest, I always end up quantizing things played by hand to the grid then adjusting them off-grid manually afterwards.  :-X

Dr. Duce

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
    • ducebeats
    • DuceMusicPro
    • View Profile
    • DuceBeats
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 06:10:43 am »
I generally start with my electric bass if i really want something to groove. I might even replace this later with a synth bass but playing in a bass line over a simple drum groove gives me the foundation on which to build everything else such a working the drums in to create that solid rhythm underbelly then sparsely adding other elements for flavour. The other thing that's absolutely crucial when building any track you want to groove is to allow enough space or air for the track to breath that way the groove smacks you in your face. 8)
Dr. Duce: Music Tech Lecturer, Producer/Engineer, Musician & Child of God
www.ducebeats.com
www.musictechtraining.com