Author Topic: why do people say mastering isnt very important  (Read 5215 times)

sast5

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
    • View Profile
why do people say mastering isnt very important
« on: November 04, 2016, 09:19:21 pm »
I don't understand why people say this because isn't mastering what makes everything clear and the track sound thick and energetic and mixing just makes everything fit rather than really making stuff better it just makes it sound right so shouldnt mastering be as important as mixing and also how come some peoples tracks that have nothing on their master chain sound so much like it has been mastered. Have they just used multiband compression on the busses?

attila

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 28
    • lyonnmusic
    • lyonntweets
    • View Profile
    • My band
Re: why do people say mastering isnt very important
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 12:04:47 am »
Essentially everything that's done in mastering can be done during mixing. Mastering has lost a lot of subtlety and art in the last decade with itb mixes so its value has dropped. It's the last 5% of the sound for me; putting an overall imprint on the track. For most people it's just used to bring the overall track volume to par.

Marrow Machines

• Mid
  • Honor: 101
  • Electronic Music
    • marrow-machines
    • MarrowMachines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 01:17:13 am »
Mastering varies from track to track, as the mixes vary from song to song.

You shouldn't have to master your music, technically.

But, I treat mastering my own music as a "make louder" process. I also try to understand how loud the song ought to be, rather than making it loud just for the sake of loud.

That being said, i make sure that my mix is the way i want it (granted i like the song enough to finish it;or if i get tired of hearing it five billion times i just scrap it).
Josh Huval: Honestly, the guys who are making good art are spending their time making it.

Mussar

• Administrator
  • Mid
  • Honor: 251
    • mussarmusic
    • mussarmusic
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 07:16:34 pm »
mastering is also not really as mystical and magical as it's made out to be, at least in my opinion.

there's gonna be a little bit of processing to glue everything together (multiband compression, tape emulation, sausage fattener, etc), there's gonna be a little bit of EQ to do last minute adjustments (but should be done in the mix imo; i usually just do a 4-pole high pass at 30 Hz and a 4 pole low pass at 20 kHz to make sure that there's no unnecessary signal), and there's gonna be Loud Makers (clippers, limiters, maximizers, etc). in no particular order, ofc.

Gabe D

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 19
    • https://soundcloud.com/gabe_d
    • https://twitter.com/Gabe_D_Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:34:43 pm »
I look at mastering a little different. I never master my own tracks. I prefer fresh ears to listen and see if I have missed something. So for me, its necessary.
Ableton Live 9, Tascam US4x4 Audio Interface, Akai APC Key 25, JBL LSR305s, & Pioneer HRM-07s

Marrow Machines

• Mid
  • Electronic Music
    • marrow-machines
    • MarrowMachines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:08:03 pm »
I look at mastering a little different. I never master my own tracks. I prefer fresh ears to listen and see if I have missed something. So for me, its necessary.

I will say that, mastering does have the added bonus of smoothing out the sound so that you can play it at loud volumes. Even if your music isn't loud in terms of a waveform, you can always crank dat solja boy and it'll be dank.
Josh Huval: Honestly, the guys who are making good art are spending their time making it.

Lydian

• Mid
  • Honor: 107
  • Hi! I'm Danny! Let's talk production! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 03:09:30 pm »
The secret in mastering is literally sausage.
A young 14 year old me with a really bad haircut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eMbftWV75w

Marrow Machines

• Mid
  • Electronic Music
    • marrow-machines
    • MarrowMachines
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 06:23:05 pm »
The secret in mastering is literally sausage.

I made my tracks sausaged out, then i had to rerender them.

The sausage was to much for my tiny ear holes.

So my sosig had to become a smaller sossssig.

Now i have a good sausage.

Ybot

• Subsonic
  • Producer of Urban Beats
    • xbot
    • @TheRealYbot
    • View Profile
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 12:20:54 am »
Because they think that if they can join the Loudness war, that the track will magically be professional and "industry standard."

Marrow Machines

• Mid
  • Electronic Music
    • marrow-machines
    • MarrowMachines
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 01:46:48 am »
Because they think that if they can join the Loudness war, that the track will magically be professional and "industry standard."

STOP LABELING ME WITH YOUR LOUDNESS WAR.

MUH """"""""INDUSTRY STANDARD""""""""

6side

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 1
  • Building An Empire One Beat At A Time
    • 6side
    • View Profile
    • Home of Relative3rdz
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 05:33:37 pm »
People say mastering isn't important because people like Skrillex for example have a way of mixing down their tracks to the point of near "perfection" - Look .. bottom line is, in my opinion of course, that a lot of these declarations are done by music snobs, or, purists .. that got fixed on a process, and then cry "foul play" when that process is changed. Do what's right for your ears.
6side - Composer/Musician/Producer
Visit Me at www.relative3rdz.com

zShinra

• Subsonic
    • shinra_dubstep
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 01:09:25 pm »
Do what's right for your ears.

I think this is the most important thing. We're making sound. Don't get bogged down by theory. Go with what sounds good to your ears  :)

Dr. Duce

• Subsonic
    • ducebeats
    • DuceMusicPro
    • View Profile
    • DuceBeats
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 07:10:41 pm »

I am of the very same opinion.
It's always a good thing to get some fresh ears and input on the song before it goes out. There is always room for revisions but when you have a mastering engineer who gets you and gets your sound, I'd say stick with him or her as they can add a positive dimension to the project.
Dr. Duce: Music Tech Lecturer, Producer/Engineer, Musician & Child of God
www.ducebeats.com
www.musictechtraining.com

Bugster

• Subsonic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 08:10:03 am »
I don't understand why people say this because isn't mastering what makes everything clear and the track sound thick and recording studio in indianapolis and mixing just makes everything fit rather than really making stuff better it just makes it sound right so shouldnt mastering be as important as mixing and also how come some peoples tracks that have nothing on their master chain sound so much like it has been mastered. Have they just used multiband compression on the busses?
I now tend to master while I mix because I know some of my clients will never bother to get it mastered.

FarleyCZ

• Mid
  • Honor: 93
    • farleycz
    • farleycz
    • View Profile
    • I tried to code a page, look!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 04:32:22 pm »
They say it, because it's true. The magic happens in mixing. That's when you make your track as clean or as dirty/thick/analogue/WhateverBuzzwordYouChase as desired. Mastering will just finish that. It's just a final polish. Nothing more.

The reason people think it's important is, that there is a lot of artists that send sh*tty mixes to great mastering engineers, who can hear those problems and unless it's total disaster, they can fix a lot of them with careful and clever use of multiband dynamics, MS processing and all sorts of little tricks. When artist recieves mastered track like that, they immediatelly hear huge difference and that's when the glorification of mastering begins.

...but in reality, if they send them clean flawless mix, that engineer will do just basic EQing and limiting. Nothing more. :) ...and that's why everyone says to newbies that mastering isn't important. Becouse that finally makes them strive for better mixes instead of screwing the shitty mix even more by trying to learn the mastering secrets. :)
"Earth is round right? Look at it from right angle and you'll be always on top of the world."
...but don't overdo it, because that's called being a d***k.