Author Topic: Build up -> Drop  (Read 2223 times)

Julez

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
    • View Profile
Build up -> Drop
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:31:32 pm »
Hi! :)

I came here because I don't know how to transition from a build-up to a drop... My drops always sound very distant and unrelated to the build up (as if it was another song); A few questions that come with this one are "Do I need to use the same scale/key?" "How do I make a powerful drop?" "Do I bring in new melodies or do I just keep the one from the build-up?" I would be very happy for an answer... Thanks in advance!

Mussar

• Administrator
  • Mid
  • Honor: 251
    • mussarmusic
    • mussarmusic
    • View Profile
    • My Site
Re: Build up -> Drop
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:18:57 pm »
The best answer I can give you is a bit roundabout -

Go find a bunch of songs that you think have really good build ups that transition nicely into the drop. Bring them into your DAW, and line them up so they all hit the drop at the same time. Spend some time soloing each one and listening to their builds and writing down all the traits you can think of to describe them. Write down all the traits they have in common, and see if there are any trends that start to stick out.

If you just use some of those, you'll get exactly the kind of build ups you want.

Ybot

• Subsonic
  • Producer of Urban Beats
    • xbot
    • @TheRealYbot
    • View Profile
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 12:44:04 pm »
"My drops always sound very distant and unrelated to the build up (as if it was another song)." So you're doing nothing wrong then. That's how every EDM song from the past 5 years has been.

In all seriousness, don't think of your song as just 2 songs smashed into each other. Think of it as a single piece of music. If you still want to do the EDM thing then making sure everything is in key can help. Also the key to a moment of energy is constrast. For example Full layered sounds to Simple single sounds, Wet to Dry, no sub to sub etc.

I think I worded this bette in another post.
Even in very minimal music, adding some simple element like a hat can act as a huge burst of energy because it's something that constrasts to what you're used to (no hat.)

Marrow Machines

• Mid
  • Honor: 101
  • Electronic Music
    • marrow-machines
    • MarrowMachines
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 02:28:27 pm »
To be honest, there's certain components to song creating in EDM that make almost all songs two separate ideas.

Consider the context of bangarang by skrillex, you have like a guitar part or w/e and then it goes into some siq wubs.

The context of the music doesn't really make sense, but there are things that make it coherent.

Things such as: the key the song is in and the notes played in the scale of the key. Mixing. Previously described (sampled or created with in the song) sounds used through out the song in various ways and arrangements.

Or you could just be having more artistic issues with in yourself such as: "successful" artist bias (you look to the others and see what you are not, when you should see what you are). Lack of confidence in your abilities(big one that novice's need to overcome). Understanding the knowledge of music and sound design (two separate components brought together by mix/sound engineering).

Quite frankly, you could also just not be making something that you intuitively want to make. Art is very funny in that way.

You're still studying how the entire song (all of it's components) unfold as you're learning how to make music and produce it well enough. If you haven't reached that point of understanding how you relate to your art, and what you need to do get there, then these problems will continue until you've finally overcome that barrier.

The sense of making sense only makes sense if you're being repetitious. You can make music that makes absolutely no sense(but still be restrainted by keys and scales or disregard the conventions entirely) and it's still music.

Embrace the freedom, and discover yourself.
Josh Huval: Honestly, the guys who are making good art are spending their time making it.

NedforspidToina

• Subsonic
    • Hello ...
    • View Profile
    • Hello ...
Build up t Drop
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:53 am »
Wanting to know the specifics on how to build my own drop spindles for my single cab. Planning on building a beam like in the sites video but would also like to get dropped spindles. Any help would be really appreciated.

http://nedforspid.moy.su/

Lydian

• Mid
  • Honor: 107
  • Hi! I'm Danny! Let's talk production! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 04:03:06 am »
you use silence
A young 14 year old me with a really bad haircut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eMbftWV75w