Author Topic: Arrangement/Structure of a track  (Read 2981 times)

LogischRobijn

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
    • View Profile
Arrangement/Structure of a track
« on: September 13, 2016, 12:08:51 pm »
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and am a big Mat Zo fan so I think it's awesome he set up this forum.
Anyways I'm often struggling with my arrangement. Getting a basic arrangement down isn't really a problem, but making something that doesn't sound like it's getting stale very fast is hard for me.
Mat Zo's tracks usually also have a very unique arrangement compared to the average dance track. Even his club mixes like the whole Bipolar EP or The Sky for example, which I don't see very often.
So I would love to hear your guys' (and especially Mat Zo's:D) view on arranging and structuring a track to make it more unique but still functional in a club setting.

Mussar

• Administrator
  • Mid
  • Honor: 251
    • mussarmusic
    • mussarmusic
    • View Profile
    • My Site
Re: Arrangement/Structure of a track
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 02:55:17 pm »
Watch this video, then do what it says at least twenty times.

Marrow Machines

• Mid
  • Honor: 101
  • Electronic Music
    • marrow-machines
    • MarrowMachines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 03:58:23 pm »
intro, A part, B part, ending.

That's a very simple arrangement of a song and allows you to experiment as you'd like with in that framework.

Also, applying other concepts of sectioning your music will help define your structure over time as well.
Josh Huval: Honestly, the guys who are making good art are spending their time making it.

Arktopolis

• Low Mid
  • Honor: 54
    • arktopolis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 04:22:10 pm »

LogischRobijn

• Subsonic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:05 am »

Thanks! Yeah I guess I have to do this more with tracks I find interesting.

That's a very simple arrangement of a song and allows you to experiment as you'd like with in that framework.

Also, applying other concepts of sectioning your music will help define your structure over time as well.

Thank you for you reply but the reason I'm asking this because the AB thing is something you don't see very often in my opinion. Mat Zo is one of the few I see using a ABA form in Bipolar for example. Normally it's just Intro, breakdown, drop, outro in a club setting but that's a little boring to me.

This may also be helpful: https://makingmusic.ableton.com/unique-events

Thanks, thats awesome!

Marrow Machines

• Mid
  • Honor: 101
  • Electronic Music
    • marrow-machines
    • MarrowMachines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:55:08 am »

Thank you for you reply but the reason I'm asking this because the AB thing is something you don't see very often in my opinion. Mat Zo is one of the few I see using a ABA form in Bipolar for example. Normally it's just Intro, breakdown, drop, outro in a club setting but that's a little boring to me.

the point is that, you can use it as a foundation and move towards something else. You're almost always going to come across that particular formation no matter what you do. Mussar suggested a way to arrange tracks based on a more individually and micro level, but if you blow up the entire picture you might some similarities in the ABAB format with several songs.

If you've done enough analysis, that's pretty much the entire skeleton of most tracks, especially for the club or festival.

What would you like to see, in the arrangement setting, of the musical realm to change? What would you like to be doing with your music that doesn't cause that sense of stale in your tracks?
Josh Huval: Honestly, the guys who are making good art are spending their time making it.

LogischRobijn

• Subsonic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 12:09:49 pm »

the point is that, you can use it as a foundation and move towards something else. You're almost always going to come across that particular formation no matter what you do. Mussar suggested a way to arrange tracks based on a more individually and micro level, but if you blow up the entire picture you might some similarities in the ABAB format with several songs.

If you've done enough analysis, that's pretty much the entire skeleton of most tracks, especially for the club or festival.

What would you like to see, in the arrangement setting, of the musical realm to change? What would you like to be doing with your music that doesn't cause that sense of stale in your tracks?

I see what you're saying about the micro/macro view, but I just feel like most club/festival tracks actually only have a part A, which is the drop, and the breakdown is also actually a toned down part A and that's what I'm trying to escape.
But I guess I just have to do a lot more analysis to find my way in this.
Thanks!

R3Mington

• Sub Bass
  • wtf is music theory?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 10:53:51 pm »

Great video

6side

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 1
  • Building An Empire One Beat At A Time
    • 6side
    • View Profile
    • Home of Relative3rdz
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 04:15:50 pm »
Speaking from my experience (HipHop/Dubstep/Pop Producer) it kinda depends on the client. Most of my arrangements are 1. Intro 2. Verse 3. Pre-Chorus 4. Chorus (hook). 5. Verse two 6. Bridge/build up 7. Pre-Chorus two 8. Chorus 9. Outro.

Hope this helps.
6side - Composer/Musician/Producer
Visit Me at www.relative3rdz.com

Jameskal

• Subsonic
    • проект
    • View Profile
Arrangement/Structure of a track
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 12:05:18 am »
So here is a question which I hope will get a lot of conversation going. What is the basic arrangement when producing a psybient, downtempo track? Is it similar to the often used 16 bar structure found in techno and house? Where every 16 bars you add something new or change something? Do you producers have in mind a djs needs when arranging your tracks? Thanks Lorn