Author Topic: Beginner Theory Question How Do I Read These Chords?  (Read 2835 times)

AB69

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 0
    • View Profile
Beginner Theory Question How Do I Read These Chords?
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:53:02 am »
https://play.riffstation.com/?v=JkOXrWGjz_M

Title.

It starts at F, then G#, then goes to Cm.

What does that mean exactly? I've always had trouble reading these chords. How do I read and interpret these chords and process them into MIDI?

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Mussar

• Administrator
  • Mid
  • Honor: 251
    • mussarmusic
    • mussarmusic
    • View Profile
    • My Site
Re: Beginner Theory Question How Do I Read These Chords?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 01:58:51 pm »
As far as interpreting the chords goes, you would look for the key of the song and assign a function to those chords based on where the chord's letter lives in that key's scale.

The track is either in G# Major (if you take the original mix) or F Minor (if you take the club mix), according to Beatport's faulty key detection algorithm, which would give us two options:

If the track is in F Minor, the chords are I, iii v. If the track is in G# Major, the chords are VII, I, iv. The roman numerals correlate with their position in the scale (from 1 to 7), and whether major (capital numerals) or minor (lower case numerals).

My ability to analyze chords and functions are still fairly limited, so I don't really know which is correct, but I'm enrolled in a course specifically focusing on harmony that has its first class today so I can ask and see what my teacher says, then get back to you!

As far as the MIDI notes are concerned if you look near the bottom right of the webpage, next to where it says "Zoom Out", you can click on the icon that looks like a piano keyboard and se the notes laid out for you. Just mark down what keys are highlighted and put those notes together in your DAW! :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:00:59 pm by Mussar »

MMIC

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 4
    • https://soundcloud.com/mmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:07:14 pm »
A chord is made up of 3 notes. There are many kinds of chords, but the 2 most common types are Major and minor chords.

Major chords are happy sounding, while minor chords sound sadder.

The chord progression from your post is F major, to G# major, then to C minor.

How do you construct a major chord? Let's take F major as an example. You always start at the root note, which is always the note in the chord's name. So the root note in this case is F. The next note in a major chord is 4 semitones up. So for our F chord, this is an A. The final note is 3 semitones up from our second note. So, 3 semitones above an A is a C.

So there we have our F major chord: it's F, A, and C.

It's almost the same process for minor chords, except the 2nd note is only 3 semitones above (instead of 4) of your root note. So, an F minor chord would be F, Ab (A flat), and C.

Hope this helps!

AB69

• Sub Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 12:49:46 am »
So it goes Fm, G# major, Cm, Fm

Is a F minor chord F G# A# or F G# C? On the riff site it looks like a C based off the points on their piano? I'm struggling to get the G# Major chord. So the root note would be G# and then what would be the other 2 notes? For some reason I have a C and a F lol

AB69

• Sub Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 03:17:49 am »
I am looking to create the full chord progression for this track and plucks as well.

So far here is what I have for F minor, G# major, and C minor.

http://imgur.com/a/Pz2ht

F minor and G# major seem to sound right, but after that it starts to sound off.

I need the exact MIDI and want to do it myself but not sure where to go from here...

Mussar

• Administrator
  • Mid
  • Honor: 251
    • mussarmusic
    • mussarmusic
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 06:22:28 am »
There's an additional piece of theory information that you need to know, called inversions. The G# major chord has G#, B# (also known as C), and D#. It doesn't matter what order the notes are - as long as you have those three notes, it's considered a G# Major chord. Usually, you reinforce these chords by duplicating the root note of the chord (in this case, G#) an octave lower. So a G# Major Chord could look like G# G# B# D#, or it could look like G# __ B# D# G# (known as the First Inversion), or it could look like G# __ __ D# G# B# (the Second inversion)! You could technically inver it one more time, but that would just give you the root position chord so we can safely ignore it.

When moving between chords, you want to try and have the notes move as few spaces as possible - this is where inversions come in! In addition, when you're moving from chord to chord you want to try and have notes stay the same whenever possible. In the picture you have, you're simply placing the chords as you expect them to go. This might work, but here's a way that might work better:

Start from the F minor chord - F Ab (also known as G# - see where I'm going?) C. Look at what notes are shared between this chord and the G# - G#/Ab, and C, which we've previously discovered is also known as B#. Simply by lowering the F two semitones to the D#, we achieve the G# Major Triad. Looking at those MIDI notes, is there anything shared between the C Minor chord and the G# Major chord? Tritonal know their music theory well, so they followed these same trains of thought. The answer will reveal itself in a very elegant manner if you take the time to think about it. By the way, is there any other name you could use for D#?

(also i'm starting to get the feeling this song was written in Ab Major, as G# Major requires six sharp notes and a double sharp note and Ab Major is the exact same as G# Major. Are you starting to see a pattern here?)

EDIT: Lydian has it and while my point still fits, the proper theory stuff is found in the post below. Don't let me try to analyze function past 11 PM at night.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:16:41 am by Mussar »

Lydian

• Mid
  • Honor: 107
  • Hi! I'm Danny! Let's talk production! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 07:09:34 am »
Track is in F minor. Contrary to what everyone is saying the chord would not be analyzed as G# major. There is no G# contained in the key.

The foundation of the chord qualities look like this. (I didn't check for extensions like 7ths, 9ths, or etc...)

F minor > Ab major > C Minor

Roman numeral wise it is i > III > v

To transfer these chords into your daw find these notes and transfer them into your piano roll.

F Ab C - F minor
Ab C Eb - Ab maj
C Eb G - C Minor

It might sound off because the bass in your Cm chord is descending relative to the previous chord. Try moving the entire chord up an octave. In the track the bass note moves up not down. You can also try adding a 4th voicing to see if it makes it sound any more "right" to you. Just get the bass note and add it to the top.

F Ab C F - F minor
Ab C Eb Ab - Ab maj
C Eb G C - C Minor

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:18:40 am by Lydian »
A young 14 year old me with a really bad haircut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eMbftWV75w

6side

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 1
  • Building An Empire One Beat At A Time
    • 6side
    • View Profile
    • Home of Relative3rdz
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 06:34:35 am »
You're in Fm Blues scale ... simple. Go check out looknohands.com it's a great tool. You can probably add a C# and a Eflat and play around with that progression .. add a Cmajor as your gateway chord.

6side - Composer/Musician/Producer
Visit Me at www.relative3rdz.com

fxbip

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 04:41:11 pm »
A chord is made up of 3 notes. There are many kinds of chords, but the 2 most common types are Major and minor chords.

Major chords are happy sounding, while minor chords sound sadder.

The chord progression from your post is F major, to G# major, then to C minor.

How do you construct a major chord? Let's take F major as an example. You always start at the root note, which is always the note in the chord's name. So the root note in this case is F. The next note in a major chord is 4 semitones up. So for our F chord, this is an A. The final note is 3 semitones up from our second note. So, 3 semitones above an A is a C.

So there we have our F major chord: it's F, A, and C.

It's almost the same process for minor chords, except the 2nd note is only 3 semitones above (instead of 4) of your root note. So, an F minor chord would be F, Ab (A flat), and C.

Hope this helps!

Just a note.

A chord can be made of more than 3 notes dude.
4 notes,5 notes,6 notes,7 notes all up to a full chromatic 12 notes chord.

Go beyond the triad people.

sus4,sus2 chords,7th chords,9th chords,11th,13th,their inversions,extended harmony,chromatism,clusters,dissonant chords etc etc
Any combination of note is a proper chord and can be used.

ANY.

Just try and your mind will explode with joy i tell you.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:43:29 pm by fxbip »

fanbrits

• Subsonic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:34:53 am »
Hm, I gotta admit I had problems with theory myself. My curator at https://bestessay4u.co.uk was helpinh me with school papers while I was studying theory. Chords can be tricky. But as far as I know you can just google the picture of them, it shows pretty well where to put fingers. Like with F you're supposed to put it on a bar fully