Author Topic: Post your mixing/mastering tips here!  (Read 25786 times)

TheAGNO3

• Global Moderator
  • Sub Bass
  • Honor: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Post your mixing/mastering tips here!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 04:18:27 am »
This may seem stupid, but I recommend and swear by starting my mix downs on commercial level speakers (integrated computer/laptop speakers, etc). By doing this, you're making your mix audible to a level that most of your audience will be listening through. Once you've got a solid structure going with that, switch to monitors and fix it up. This method has helped me to bring my mixes up to standard and make my tunes sound a lot better on all systems/mediums of listening. I find this method is similar to how a lot of engineers swear by using ol NS10s to check their mixes in mono. Also I heard Noah '40' Shabib does this as well for the stuff he makes for Drake

Blakelight

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 04:39:33 am »
The thing about the NS10 thing is that the Mid is fucked up a lot so it will sound really really fat in the mid but the rest gonna sound shit , problem by mixing thing with Commercial speak is that you fuck up a lot of frequency by doing that you may think that some frequency are good but in fact they're not and some are bad but could sound great .

The thing about monitoring speakers is that they try to be the more neutral they can so not a single frequence will be louder than another wich is not the case with Hifi speaker , so I'm more into mixing with monitor , then headphones to see if it sounds great then some car Hifi speaker , but it will always sound better if it's well mixed or Monitoring speaker

fungsway

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 1
    • View Profile
    • Fung Sway
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:33 am »
This may seem stupid, but I recommend and swear by starting my mix downs on commercial level speakers (integrated computer/laptop speakers, etc). By doing this, you're making your mix audible to a level that most of your audience will be listening through. Once you've got a solid structure going with that, switch to monitors and fix it up. This method has helped me to bring my mixes up to standard and make my tunes sound a lot better on all systems/mediums of listening. I find this method is similar to how a lot of engineers swear by using ol NS10s to check their mixes in mono. Also I heard Noah '40' Shabib does this as well for the stuff he makes for Drake

Whats your thought on Auratone mixcubes/ shitty speakers?

MifzanHerawan

• Low Mid
  • Honor: 2
    • mifzanherawan/tracks
    • mifzanherawan
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 06:16:38 am »
i think not a popular trick, but :

for me the trick is to have a change of environment. I arrange in FL, then mix in Live 9 (just through fx-less render). The technical stuff, well you guys are better than me :p

Dap

• Subsonic
    • da_vp
    • DAP000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 07:30:27 am »
My favorite Mixing tricks are: Orchestration, give every instrument or synth an octave or at least a 5th for itself, of course, it is natural to have overlapping, so then I use "inverted" EQing (cutting/boosting like a mirror image on the EQs of the synths that are overlapping), and finally I dip out a little of the 200-500Hz in a lot of instruments because it helps to get a clearer mix since that range is basically the middle point of human hearing and a lot of things overlap there.

And of course HP filters to clean up the low end.

Shew

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 11
    • iamshew
    • alexshewraymond
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 09:07:47 am »

I usually inadvertently do this because I'm too lazy to plug my headphones into my laptop or set it up onto my monitors so I just use the good ol' fashioned macbook pro speakers.
Twitch Music love | always trying to channel my inner Martin Doherty

ERLAND

• Sub Bass
  • so this is the new ryan enzed forum?
    • erlaand
    • iamerlaand
    • View Profile
    • ERLAND - FB page.
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 09:28:03 am »
I don't know if this is the right thing to do, but Dyro and Synchronice made this tip before. I like to lower the volume of the break -0.5 db before the drop, it makes everything hit so much harder. I do this in the mixdown process though.

Oh, also have this image! I like to use it as a reference sometimes, however don't take it as being a rule to do like in the image.

Who gives a fuck?

RylanT

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 4
  • Progressive/Trance
    • RylanTaggartMusic
    • RylanTaggart
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 10:12:34 am »
Idk if these tips are really common knowledge or not but in my case,
some tips that helped me get cleaner mixes -

1) 17khz cut on your final mix will most likely free up tons of headroom for your song
2) automate the master volume for your song so that the choruses/key sections are +1db (or higher if preferred) than the rest of the song
3) divide your basses- I usually have a sub cutoff so it is only <100hz, and then have another bass layer over it for the frequencies >100hz
4) thinking of EQ/pan as an x and y axis grid (Im sorry if this is hard to visualize, Im bad with explaining so forgive me for not having the best word usage)
5) subtractive mixing - put the volume down for all your sounds and raise it up as you see fit, also, subtractive EQing is a gift from the heavens that changed my quality 10000%
These are all great tips. 17k Seems low though, I've noticed most pro tracks about 18-19k.
Trance/Progressive Producer with releases on Elliptical Sun and Blue Soho Recordings
Facebook.com/RylanTaggartMusic
Soundcloud.com/RylanTaggartMusic

CROIX

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 4
  • ☩ Volition ☩ Progression ☩ Emotion
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 02:55:41 pm »
Hey friends! I've got a lot of things that I do when I mix and master but I'll list some basics -

• Check in mono frequently - From what I'm familiar with, clubs typically don't play in mono anymore (not most of them at least). That's old news. However, it's still important because not all speakers mediums that people listen to music on are stereo (phone, portable speaker, etc.)
  • Reference Tracks - After your ear has some experience listening to music objectively (attempting to listen for knowledge and education purposes as opposed to simply listening for enjoyment [which is also ok]), you can try to match volumes of elements in your track to a reference track by volume. This has helped me numerous times!
  • Mix/master on multiple speakers - whether it be laptop speakers, studio monitors, headphones, earbuds; give them all a shot and see how each sounds. If you're familiar with a specific set, listen for what's missing (or too much) in your track compared to tracks you are familiar with. Basically another referencing tool!
  • Wide boosts/small cuts - When EQ'ing, be gentle with boosts. Gather a range and boost that entirely (by a small amount) rather than using a tight Q (unless going for a certain effect). On the contrary, thin cuts will allow your sounds to keep their body but remove harsh frequencies. Be gentle with boosts and cuts. If large amounts of equalization are needed to make a sound "good" then you probably need to change something with the source sound itself (similar to how mastering is not done to fix a mix).
     - Bonus! - Use wider Q's on lower frequencies and tighter Q's on higher frequencies as the scale is logarithmic. 40Hz-80Hz is the same length on an EQ as 4000Hz-8000Hz!
  • Bus processing - Saturation, Compression, Reverb, Exciter - Multi-band is not always necessary for a mix, but I tend to use it more often than not. I use FabFilter Saturn, Pro-C2, the Valhalla reverbs, and Waves Vitamin Stereo respectively for each kind of plugin. These are to bring sounds together as they affect the whole signal coming through them based on amplitude and frequency content

I hope I could provide some insight. Best of luck to you all!
Much love,
Jack

https://soundcloud.com/croixsound

☩ Volition
☩ Progression
☩ Emotion

Mussar

• Administrator
  • Mid
  • Honor: 251
    • mussarmusic
    • mussarmusic
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 03:51:06 pm »
I don't know if this is the right thing to do, but Dyro and Synchronice made this tip before. I like to lower the volume of the break -0.5 db before the drop, it makes everything hit so much harder. I do this in the mixdown process though.

This is pretty common in the Bass music scene from what I've heard - attenuate the master volume by half a decibel or a decibel for everything but the drop (or the sections surrounding the drops), and it adds a whole new dimension to the mix.

ofobiaz

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 04:40:24 pm »
Don't forget a 200hz cut for bass and kick. usually go for maybe -19 to -32db sometimes -11db bell cut almost narrow but not to notch.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:45:39 pm by ofobiaz »

Volant

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 26
    • volantmusic
    • volantmusic
    • View Profile
    • sc
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 04:52:49 pm »
My tip would be to make sure everything goes together well in Mono. If the mix sounds great in Mono already and nothing is overlapping, the stereo you add to it will sound heaps more effective. I started doing this in July last year and my mixes have been sounding a lot better since then.

Konac

• Subsonic
    • konac
    • konac_
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:44 pm »
I think my biggest tip would be to be patient with the different mixdowns and masters you produce.

Scribit

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 6
    • scribit
    • scribitmusic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 07:18:29 pm »

4) thinking of EQ/pan as an x and y axis grid (Im sorry if this is hard to visualize, Im bad with explaining so forgive me for not having the best word usage)

This is called 3D mixing; I learn't about it awhile back. Might have other names as well so I don't know how good a google search would be...
"Very very way more stronger" - Carnage 2k15

morgan

• Subsonic
  • my god
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 10:34:38 pm »
general personal rule of mine : only trust people's mixing advice if you know their skillset is up to a standard you hope to get to/exceed - taking advice from a guy who makes half assed beats is just a waste of your time