Author Topic: Technology killing creativity?  (Read 2432 times)

cryophonik

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 18
    • cryophonik
    • cryophonik
    • View Profile
    • www.cryophonik.com
Sonar Platinum | Pro Tools 11 | Bitwig Studio | Logic Pro X
Access Virus TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4 | NI Maschine 2

ZAU

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 44
    • View Profile
Re: Technology killing creativity?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:39:25 pm »
Wow that article really hit me. I can totally relate and I'm guilty of doing everything that was mentioned....  :(

Sometimes I wonder.. what did we ever do without the Internet? I told myself that I would try to minimize 'technology' in 2016, read more 'real' books as opposed to digital/iBooks/Kindle, listen to actual CDs instead of iTunes, stuff like that. Thanks for posting this :)

Mussar

• Administrator
  • Mid
  • Honor: 252
    • mussarmusic
    • mussarmusic
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 06:54:06 pm »
I would be willing to argue that for some, technology is enhancing creativity. Before I found out about electronic music, I had no confidence in my artistic ability. I thought I would never learn an instrument, never be a performer, and basically killed my childhood dream for nearly a decade. Once I discovered Ableton, I realized that all the time I spent getting comfortable with a keyboard and a mouse wasn't useless - I can turn that into music! Putting iMaschine on my iPhone gave me a way to play the drums in a way that I was comfortable with, and removed the barrier for entry that held me back.

Human beings have always found ways to distract themselves from doing the things they want to do, because humans are afraid of two things: 1. Failure. 2. Change.

Being an artist forces you to fail a lot, and the only way to stop failing is to change. If you're not 100% committed, your subconscious will look for ANY excuse not to do it. Which could apply to anything (school, work, exercise, etc), to be honest.

vinceasot

• Low Mid
  • Honor: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:42:47 pm »
nerd out on gear and plug ins but focus on your composing and tracks and knowing your tools

Kennethliem

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
    • View Profile
Technology killing creativity
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 05:57:00 am »
Do you think that creating an image or a video in the computer is an art? Have you ever created an image or a video with a program? For example, Photoshop or iMovie?
 Many people believe that creating images in Photoshop is not an art. I disagree. It is a different way to express your feelings. It is an art I have created many images with the help of the technology and I am very satisfied with them. I don't know how to draw or how to write poems, but I know how to create images in PS. What are your opinions about this matter?

Wontolla

• Low Mid
  • Honor: 70
  • bow down plebs I know music theory
    • iamwontolla
    • iamwontolla
    • View Profile
Re: Technology killing creativity
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 06:25:22 am »
Many people believe that creating images in Photoshop is not an art.

I've literally never heard anyone say that, and that's not what the article is saying.

Social media isn't a huge problem for me, but I've been fighting other distractions, for a pretty long time; it's getting bad enough to start making a daily schedule. But the real question is, how much "wasted time" has a positive influence on your creativity? I've been watching a ton of review shows lately, and some of Todd in the Shadows' thoughts on pop music actually helped my songwriting, by giving another perspective on how composition is "supposed" to work. Is that me trying to justify wasting time on YouTube, or is it something I'll actually miss out on if I try cutting it out of my life?

ZAU

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 44
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 11:06:17 pm »
Before I found out about electronic music, I had no confidence in my artistic ability. I thought I would never learn an instrument, never be a performer, and basically killed my childhood dream for nearly a decade.

Wow.... a decade? I've played the piano since I was five so I've never known a world where I wasn't immersed in music.

Once I discovered Ableton, I realized that all the time I spent getting comfortable with a keyboard and a mouse wasn't useless - I can turn that into music! Putting iMaschine on my iPhone gave me a way to play the drums in a way that I was comfortable with, and removed the barrier for entry that held me back.
Really great point this.