Author Topic: How long did it take you to get to the point in music you're in now?  (Read 5924 times)

Adam Tell

• Subsonic
  • Honor: 0
    • https://soundcloud.com/adam-tell
    • https://twitter.com/aTellTweets
    • View Profile
Re: How long did it take you to get to the point in music you're in now?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 01:49:39 am »
About 8 years before I started releasing my music "professionally." During that time, I did a lot of transcribing of jazz and rock tunes with some originals interspersed, but it was all strictly for the enjoyment of it. About 2 years ago I turned on the discipline and started releasing only originals. That 8-year period was crucial to my development of a style though.

Final Kindgom

• Sub Bass
  • Honor: 15
    • final-kindgom
    • Final_Kindgom
    • View Profile
Re: How long did it take you to get to the point in music you're in now?
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 03:03:26 am »
I've been producing for 8 months (February will make it 9). I've been playing piano since 2008 and I've picked up a couple of instruments along the way. I started producing my sophomore year of high school due to a music program I went to, but it didn't stick because I didn't have access to a DAW at home. A friend of mine encouraged me to start producing for real, so I did it and never looked back. Almost every song I make, I can hear improvement. Whether it's mixing or sound design, I can hear the difference in quality. The improvements feel like they are less noticeable so I could be plateauing now, but I know they are there and that's fine with me.

I'm glad I started learning instruments first because I already had some musicianship going into it. I had written songs before, so I had a decent idea of how to compose and arrange music, and the music was clear in my head (although it was hard at first to translate it into the DAW). I had picked up music theory on my own from playing instruments, learned basic theory from various lessons, and took music theory classes in college. Some people have no experience with music and grind through the trial and error, but I know I couldn't have done that without knowing the whys or hows of music.